Last Updated on
Do you want to clean your clothes without toxic commercial laundry? Well, here is a best homemade laundry detergent recipe for you. Making a homemade laundry detergent is one of the most effective aspects of a transition to natural living. This recipe is not only very easy to make but also helps you to save some money.
Why Natural Homemade Laundry Detergent?
Commercial laundry detergent is made with toxic chemicals like phenol, sulfates, fragrances and more. Some brands contain things such as petroleum distillates that are associated with lungs and cancer disease. Also, the fragrances used in these detergents are made of a mixture of harmful chemicals.
Best Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe
Making a homemade laundry detergent is an effective, easy and fast process.
Homemade Laundry Detergent with Baking Soda
Here is the list of ingredients to create a homemade laundry detergent.
- Washing Soda Box (3 lb)
- Baking Soda Box (4 lb)
- Borax Box (4 lb)
- An Oxy Clean Container
- 3 bars of Fels-Naptha
- Grate the Fels-Naptha bar with the help of cheese grater or food processor. Use a regular blade to grate down fine.
- Grab a plastic tote bin and place a black garbage bag in it. Pour each of the ingredients inside it.
- Now mix all ingredients well.
- Add the mixture to a container. Here is your homemade laundry detergent.
- You need to use only 1-2 tablespoons per load. If this amount is not enough for your cleaning, you can increase it according to your needs.
Homemade Laundry Detergent with Borax
- 1 Bar Shaved Bar Soap
- 1 Cup Washing Soda
- A Cup of Borax
- Stir together all ingredients for few minutes and enjoy the amazing results.
- For better results, use a blender or a food processor to blend the mixture for creating a high-quality laundry detergent.
- The mixture easily dissolves in cold water too.
- Remember before removing the blender lid, let the dust settle to that you don’t inhale the particles.
- Store your homemade laundry detergent with a small scoop in a sealed container.
Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe
Here are ingredients you will need to make homemade laundry soap.
- Washing Soda
- Bar Soap
- Borax and washing soda is easily available at any local grocery store. You can also add two tablespoons of baking soda to extra freshness.
- Borax is a natural mineral made up of water, sodium, oxygen, and boron. The ingredient is also used in much natural soap.
- Washing soda also known as sodium carbonate is made from limestone and common salt and also found as natural deposits.
- Mix the bar soap in a food processor or grate it until it is finely ground. You can use the soap of your choice.
- Mix 2 parts of borax, 2 parts of washing soda and 1 part of the grated soap.
- Store it in a closed container.
- Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap
- Grate a bar of soap with a food processor or cheese grater.
- Now put the grated soap in a pan with 2 quarts water. Heat it gradually and stir it until the soap dissolves completely.
- Put 4.5 gallons of very hot tap water in a 5-gallon bucket. Sit in 2 cups of washing soda and 2 cups of borax until it dissolves completely.
- Now pour the mixture from pan into a 5-gallon bucket and stir well.
- Cover it and leave it overnight.
- Stir or shake until smooth. Pout the liquid into gallon jugs.
Homemade laundry detergent without borax
Here are ingredients you need to make laundry detergent without borax.
- Washing Soda (6 Cups)
- 3 bars of 5-ounce soap (finely grated)
- Lemon essential oil (optional)
- Wool dryer balls
- Non-GMO white vinegar
- Downy ball (optional)
- Food processor
- Powdered oxygen bleach
- Cut the bar soap into small chunks. Now add the soap and washing soda to the food processor.
- Blend well to make a fine powder.
- Pour the mixture into a clean container.
- Keep your essential oil with the jar and add five drops with each load.
Homemade laundry detergent with Zote
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make laundry detergent with Zote.
- Borax (3 cups)
- Zote (1 bar)
- Washing soda (3 cups)
- A food processor
- Cut the bar of Zote soap into two batches. Put the pieces in a food processor and chop it finely.
- Add 3 cups of washing soda and 3 cups of borax and process it again to mix them perfectly.
- If you don’t want to add 3 cups of borax and washing soda, add 1 ½ cups of each with one piece of Zote soap.